You may have seen on my Instagram feed (@ZoSews, how original) a few weeks ago a sneaky peek at a hand picked zipper. This was the zipper for a dress I was planning on wearing for my (gasp) 30th birthday soiree.
This dress started last year, in my mind. I saw Sarai’s tweaked floral Lonsdale dress, and I fell in love. I wanted that one! This seemed the perfect opportunity to make it!
My birthday party consisted of cocktails at a Seamstress bar (how appropriate), delish dumplings in Chinatown and then the crescendo, hours of karaoke!
Unfortunately, I was having WAY too much fun to take any photos. Yep, that’s right, I didn’t take ONE photo lol… Luckily I was able to scrounge around and get a few from other partygoers. They all look something like this, so I won’t be repetitive and will just give you one. Don’t look at those creases, I’d been sitting down for a couple of hours before this was taken.
- This number combines the bodice of Sewaholic’s Lonsdale, and the pencil skirt (minus the high waistband) from Gertie’s book.
- Amazingly, I didn’t have to make one change to the bodice! I made one size bigger in the skirt though to account for ease required due to no stretch in the fabric.
- Enlarged the front waist darts because it was puffing out away from the body.
- Due to the long straps of the bodice, this chewed up a lot of fabric – just a note.
- I made the dress out of a ‘vintage’ print cotton, and lined the bodice with a blue rayon, both from Spotlight. This lining is what started my love affair with rayon.
- I hand picked the zipper – a new love, inspired by Neeno and her scandalous zipper porn I followed a mix of Gertie’s instructions from the book,with Tasia’s.
If I had my time again I’d add a kick pleat to the skirt, there’s a lot of stress put on one little join at the moment and its already starting to show after only one wear. I only realised this would happen after cutting the skirt out – too late!
I am very happy with this dress! I love the shape, so I may even make it again.
I want to write a review for Pattern Review on this dress, but I’m not sure whether to list this as Lonsdale, Gertie’s skirt, or both (do a review for each). What do you think?
Here’s a few extra birthday pics, just for fun I cropped others out to be polite because I am so unorganised I didn’t get around to asking anyone if they minded being put on the interwebs before writing this post.