Mandy, you’re a fine girl

19 Apr

Many months ago, it was a toss up between Tessuti’s Mandy and Grainline’s Hemlock. I can’t remember why now, but for some (maybe rational) reason I went with Mandy. However, I think my fabric selection was a subliminal ode to Hemlock now I look at it!

ZoSews Mandy Tee

I LOVE this top, and I want to wear it ALL THE TIME!! I have to remember to circulate it :)

ZoSews Mandy Tee

As much as I LOVE THIS TOP, my sewing machine HATES KNIT FABRIC. Hence the ugly neck stitching.

ZoSews Mandy Tee

I constructed Mandy with my overlocker, but had to turn and stitch the neck. It’s icky. I’ve tried everything, wooly nylon, tension changes etc etc etc, my machine hates all the knits. :( In fact, it hates the knits so much that a pair of Anita pants I was working on yesterday are puckered all the way down the side seams and the machine struggled to sew five stitches without cracking the sh*ts. Put a woven in though, and the biatch was perfect – groan. I may blog these pants, but for now they’re pretty much relegated to wearing on long haul flights lol.

Because my machine hates all the knits so much I didn’t finish Mandy’sΒ hem or sleeves, I reckon she looks fine though.

ZoSews Mandy Tee

The fabric is a cheap as chips poly blend (?) from Rathdowne Fabrics.

Those of you who are super smarty pants’ will notice that my hair is long in these pics, yep, they’re some months old Sherlock :)

ZoSews Mandy Tee

Conclusion: If you want a comfortable, easy to wear, easy to sew top – getchoself a Mandy. She’s a free pattern – how could one refuse?

Z xo

PS: Happy Easter to those who celebrate. We’re enjoying a four day weekend here in Aus. Yee hah.

16 Responses to “Mandy, you’re a fine girl”

1. gingermakes April 19, 2014 at 11:45 PM #

This is really cute! I love the stripes!

• ZoSews April 20, 2014 at 8:26 PM #

Thanks! I ❀️ them too – even though every now and again I get a Where’s Wally vibe… 😝

2. sewmanju April 20, 2014 at 1:45 AM #

Ha snap! I have just posted a striped mandy too. Didn’t have any problems stitching tho. Not bragging – but love my janome!!! Yours looks very cute. So easy isn’t it?

• ZoSews April 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM #

Haha I’m jealous of your knit loving Janome! Your Mandy looks great, good move on adding extra length, I might do that next time too I think.

3. annaintechnicolor April 20, 2014 at 3:10 AM #

Love the classic red and white stripes! So sorry you were having issues with your machine, I hate it when they decide not to cooperate!

• ZoSews April 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM #

Thanks Anna! It’s so frustrating when they don’t play nice!

4. lisa g April 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM #

there is something about this style of top that just looks perfect in a stripe. love yours!

• ZoSews April 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM #

Thanks Lisa! Yep, more stripy Mandys are required for sure.

5. Colette April 20, 2014 at 9:52 AM #

Hi Zoe hope you enjoy wearing your lovely Mandy Boat Tee, it looks fantastic. And that you sort out the jersey issue with your machine, so that you can make more Mandy’s :)
    Happy Easter!

• ZoSews April 20, 2014 at 8:17 PM #

Happy Easter Colette! Yep, that naughty machine better start behaving because I want more Mandys!

6. Blogless Anna April 21, 2014 at 2:20 PM #

Ace top. It’s a bummer that your machine hates knits.

7. sewlittletime April 23, 2014 at 12:26 AM #

cute! could you try a walking foot for your machine in case that makes a difference?

• ZoSews April 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM #

Good idea! I’ll have to try that πŸ˜„

8. Susie Homemaker, MD May 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM #

Zoe, you have sewn some awesome things! It was so nice meeting you in NYC the other night — wish we could have chatted more. I hope the rest of your trip is pleasant and I look forward to seeing your next creation!

Katrina

P.S. I hope you don’t mind I posted our snapshot from the party in my Flickr Me Made May pool. :)

• ZoSews May 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM #

Aww thank you! So have you!! Lovely to meet you too – I look forward to following your sewing adventures :-) And no worries about posting to Flickr πŸ˜„

• Susie Homemaker, MD May 24, 2014 at 1:17 PM #

Thanks :)
        Hope you have made it home safely with lots of good fabric and other stuff!!