Crikey! I’ve lost my sewjo!

6 Jul

I’ve found recently, that apart from my weekly sewing class, I’m not sewing! Now I don’t mean to whinge, but by the time I get home from work, cook dinner, clean up dinner, deal with emails, blog reading, phone calls, life etc – I’m wrecked and it’s close to midnight! And that’s on the nights I don’t have something else on… ballet, french etc. (#firstworldproblems I know)

I mean, even this post is lacking energy!

There was a little chat about this topic on Facebook recently, and we discovered that Red Point Tailor tries to sew 2 hours a night! Two hours a night!! Maybe if I was one of those lucky people who don’t need sleep I could do that.

I think I’ve become more sew-luggish since winter set in… maybe my vitamin D deficiency has a role to play lol? And I must note that I’ve never been quick at the best of times, tending to fall into the ‘slow sewing’ camp. I do however fall into the fast fabric and pattern buying lot ;)

So, I want your tips for sewjo finding! Deadlines tend to push me, but if they’re self imposed…well, lets just say those ones can be moved *wink*.

Zxx

37 Responses to “Crikey! I’ve lost my sewjo!”

1. sewbusylizzy July 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM #

I sometimes suffer the same problem. I spend time knitting and just cruising the net. Sometimes you just trip across something that inspires you to go back to the machine. Just be patient. I think forcing yourself to sew is bad – remember being MADE to eat your dinner….

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM #

Gah, I was distracting myself with knitting, but now I’ve found a dropped stitch way down and I can’t make it pick up. So that distraction is now on hold lol.

2. Houseofpinheiro July 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM #

Same happens to me, I get a wave if sewing energy, sew almost daily, them I spend a whole month without even looking at my machine. The way to kick start it’s really try to sew a little bit, even if it’s 30 min a day… I do think winters makes us just want to hibernate and sometimes it’s just ok to not do anything

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM #

Woot! I traced a pattern last night! The sewjo-ometer moved a little ;) You have an amazing output level, I can’t imagine you ever away from your machine!

3. Sarah July 6, 2013 at 8:21 PM #

I agree with Rachel, find a mid sized project and try to sew one seam a day:) although to be totally hypocritical I’ve sewn for about half an hour in the last two weeks

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM #

That’s half an hour more than me! ;)

4. prttynpnk July 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM #

Sometimes you just have to step away. If I’m not feeling it, I try to focus on another aspect of it- plotting, scheming, looking at pattern reviews and blogs. I don’t want a hobby that feels like a job, so I let my interest ebb and flow when it will. It always comes back- wagging it’s tail behind me.

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM #

Good one! I usually distract my self with shopping ;) I reckon I have enough patterns and fabric to see more through the next 15 years at my slow sewing rate! hahaha

5. Kathryn July 6, 2013 at 8:47 PM #

I always find I want to hibernate in the winter and if I do feel like doing anything it’s going and sitting in the cinema or watching a film at home. Maybe a sew-along would help, a deadline imposed from someone else, and I find if there’s a structure to my sewing like you get with a sewalong that usually helps when I’m lacking in motivation. Or you could just roll with it and enjoy other activities for a while?!

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM #

And eating! Winter definitely = eating for me! I’ve decided to jump on in on BHL’s Victoria sewalong, hopefully I can keep up!

6. ooobop! July 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM #

I think this is so common among us all. Don’t worry Zo. It will return. Browse some inspirational patterns and fabric. It won’t take long to find your favourite I’m sure. Then write yourself a manageable schedule, breaking down the project to half or one hour sessions. Doesn’t matter how long it takes but I’d say you could manage a dress do easily in 10-14 days x

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM #

Such faith you have Ms Ooobop! :)

7. Kirsty July 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM #

2 hours a night!! Yikes!! I’m lucky to get 2 hours in during the week at all. Sometimes I can sneak in a little bit but usually I’m knackered. Do you have a project on the go at the moment? Maybe just doing 30 mins might help like the others have suggested….?

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM #

I know!! Do I have a project on the at moment… hmmm about three hahahahaha, should prob pick one to focus on ;)

8. gingermakes July 7, 2013 at 2:35 AM #

Ugh, sounds like you’ve got a lot going on! I go through waves like that where I have to force myself to sew and it’s pretty joyless. I’d say to give yourself a rest, then when you feel like getting back into it, go through your stash– you might be inspired by a piece you find in there and really want to wear it!

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM #

Stash surfing is inspiring!

9. Gjeometry July 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM #

Ah, too bad about the Sewjo. This happens to me, (I think it happens to everybody) as well. I don’t try to force it too much as I still want it to be an enjoyable past-time. But, sometimes, I will do something, just to touch base with sewing, like trace a pattern, sketch an outfit I’d like to sew, or even just read the directions of a pattern I’d like to put together. It’s still fun and still learning and better to pass the time than watching re-runs on the tele!

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM #

I think that might be the trick. Last night I managed to trace a really simply pattern, yes! *fist pump*

• Gjeometry July 9, 2013 at 4:50 AM #

Whoo hoo! i find, unless it is your profession or source of income, than it’s best not to force it and associate things you enjoy with negative connotations. I have signed up for several sewalongs and have made deadlines happily for most but the few where I rushed and forced the deadline, I began not to enjoy the process or the finished product.

10. Tia Dia July 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM #

Well, being a SAHM, I sometimes feel compelled to be accomplishing something, so I do spend a lot of time at my machine. However, summer is when children are home, so I’m constantly distracted, although everyone, including the DH is willing to give me sewing time away from family commitments, etc., It’s rather hilarious, but I appreciate the thoughtfulness. As for losing my sewjo, I find sewing for someone else helps push me along. That said, sewing up the casual clothes in imitation of RTW for my eldest daughter this summer has made me want to throw my sewing machine out the window and jump up and down on my serger. I have rediscovered my dislike of sewing casual clothing, thanks to the last 3 projects (which will remain forever unblogged because I so HATE them). lol

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM #

You are too nice Ms Dia, sewing for someone else… no way man ;) You’re very lucky to be given your sewing time! Picturing you jumping up and down on your serger (bahahahaha) has inspired me to at least go look at mine, then I realised the thread needed changing so I walked away! Shame about your last three projects!!

• Tia Dia July 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM #

roflmao…. changing the threads is enough to make me walk away sometimes, too!

11. Tina C. July 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM #

I feel ya, sister! I try to get excited, trace a pattern, cut out fabric, and then… nothing. I have about four projects all cut out and that’s it. Sometimes I find that having a deadline kickstarts my sewjo–if I’m pattern testing, or need a new dress by XYZ date, or am part of a sew along…

But yeah… currently a lot of patterns are eyeballing me in a most forlorn manner.

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM #

I do deliver to sewing deadlines, but the associated pressure kills some of the joy for me. You’d better get going with those four projects, you know you need to wear them all next week ;)

12. Bec Stitches July 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM #

My sewjo comes in spurts too, ill sew three dresses and then nothing lol.. but I do tend to sew the same dress a couple of times while i still remember what to do/how to adjust it ahah..
    Maybe try to plan outfits for certain events? I always try to sew things with a certain date in mind.. it helps me to know how much time I have to spend on it :)

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM #

I’m silly, I sew one thing, and then BAM, on to the next one – so I never get to know about pattern super well. Whenever I start sewing something, ‘I want it now!’.

13. Tilly July 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM #

Aw it happens to us all! My own way of getting over a loss of sewjo is to pick a really easy project that won’t need much faffing about with fitting etc, maybe something you’ve made before, and tell yourself you’re only sewing for a short period of time (eg. 15 minutes per day. Before you know it, you’ll be back into it.

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM #

I think that sounds like a great plan Tilly! Actually kicked my sewjo in the bum a little last night and managed to trace off a *hopefully* simple pants pattern. I was foiled though when I realised I need to change the overlocker thread… because really, who wants white finishes on black pants… yelllk..

14. thecuriouskiwi July 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM #

Winter in definitely a sewjo killer. It’s so dark, I just want to curl up in front of the telly after dinner and vegetate! I used to do at least 15 minutes most nights. A seam here, cut a bit out there but I am out of habit now.

I have decided this week I am grabbing my sewjo by the scruff of the neck. Yesterday I gave my sewing space a big tidy. I put things away so it’s a clean slate. Then I pulled out what I want to work on and tonight I will do 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, whatever! I will do something and then tomorrow night the same, little steps :) I hope you can wrestle your sewjo back into shape xx

• ZoSews July 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM #

I’m glad to hear that winter doesn’t just take down my sewjo! I just want to vegetate (and eat) too… How healthy of me ;) Never fear, I shall wrestle my sewjo into submission!

15. Zoe July 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM #

It’s the same for me, I think it must be winter! Part of it is that I don’t have a dress form and it is too cold to be constantly trying things on testing for fit. The issue is that I signed up to a fabric stash sewalong so I will have to brace the cold at some stage.

• ZoSews July 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM #

Trying things on when it’s cold is killer. That’s the reason i put my bombshell dress aside last winter… Have just picked it up again actually!

16. Red Point Tailor July 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM #

Well… sewing is not only sitting behind the sewing machine … it’s drafting pattern, tracing patterns, browsing magazine/internet (shopping) – looking for inspirations, making muslin, etc. And as a lot of already advised sometimes it is good to step back, give it a breat – and please do not feel guilty about it.

Maybe to help you in getting over – I nominated your blog on the Super Sweet Blogging Award http://wp.me/p2yS5n-NA! Happy sewing!

• ZoSews July 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM #

I excel in the ‘browsing the internet’ and ‘shopping’ parts of sewing ;) Thanks so much for the award!

17. Siobhan Andrews July 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM #

Hi Zoe! Lovely to have met you at Cooking last weekend. Hadn’t read you blog for a while and while reacquainting myself realised that your blue/green hat was the inspiration for my similar one last year- which unfortunately scratches.
    Anyway will enjoy reading your sewing adventures on Bloglovin.
    You mentioned that you and your partner were looking at houses in my area just thought I would ley\t you know the doer upper across the rd has a ‘upcoming auction’ sign. Barry Plant real estate. The house is 42 Suffolk St Maidstone we are at number 13 if you need a coffee, break from house hunting, stash sticky beak etc. Cheers Siobhan

• ZoSews July 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM #

Hello hello! Great to hear my hat inspired your scratchy one lol. I’ll email you :)