Finished: Undercover Hood

1 Sep

I actually finished my Papercut Patterns Undercover Hood last weekend but was waiting to get some photos – which I now have – yay! :)

So let me introduce my favourite new toy – a pink and grey hoodie. Check out those matching stripes, oh yes yes yes.

Papercut Patterns Undercover Hood ZoSews

Fabric is a Marc Jacobs cotton jersey like thing from The Fabric Store, and it was a bit of a shite to sew with to be honest. Stripes were mismatched and completely off grain – which made for some fun stripe matching smackdowns (otherwise known as easing and forcing and manipulating).

I didn’t self line the hood. Instead I used some pretty pinky cotton from Spotlight. I also bound the hood/neckline seam with the same pretty pinky cotton.

Undercover Hood lining and binding

Apart from the stripe matching smackdowns and moments of confusion over the cuffs (see cuff tutorial) this was actually a pretty easy make.

ZoSews Papercut Patterns

I cut it to the right size and then made it with 1.5cm seam allowances rather than the 1cm allowances as per pattern instructions. Funnily enough, I think I would have been better off sticking with the 1cm allowances (duh!), teamed with the thicker than recommended fabric it’s little bit snug I think. I also took about 4-5cm off the sleeve length.

ZoSews Undercover HoodI would heartily recommend this pattern. I would like to try it out in a merino too I think… Oh yeah, and the packaging is devine!

13 Responses to “Finished: Undercover Hood”

1. sewbusylizzy September 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM #

Love the pink & the grey! And the lining is v.cute.
    I’m dying to try a Papercut pattern. The Watson coat is going on my birthday/Christmas wish list!

• ZoSews September 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM #

That coat is very cute! Look forward to seeing your final ;)

2. poppykettle September 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM #

Oh I love it! It looks so cosy :) Great colours on you, too. I may have to pull my version of this a bit closer to the top of the sewing-to-do list!

• ZoSews September 1, 2012 at 9:57 PM #

I’m pretty happy with it :) After reading a few posts on colour (yours included!) I’ve been trying to pay more attention – so thanks for the feedback, good to know! Forget the stripes and you’ll make it really quickly. Oh, and *gasp*, I didn’t even make a calico! Naughty naughty.

3. gingermakes September 18, 2012 at 12:38 AM #

I’m just catching up on my blogroll, but this is amazing! It looks so professional and so cute! I bet you’ll reach for this constantly!

4. HouseOFpinheiro (@HouseOFpinheiro) October 2, 2012 at 8:25 PM #

Omg, best hood I seen

• ZoSews October 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM #

Wow. You’ve made my day. Really!

5. Lucinda November 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM #

I love it! I’ve been looking for a hoodie pattern for awhile now and stumbled across this pattern. Your version really makes me want to buy the pattern!

• ZoSews November 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM #

Yay! Glad I could be of service :)

6. Lauren July 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM #

Hi! I just came across your gorgeous hoodie as I was trying to find a description for the Marc Jacobs fabric and your post came up. I love the colours and the fit – it looks great on you. I just made one in the same fabric in blue shades.
    Hope you get your sewjo back as I’ve just discovered you!!

• ZoSews August 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM #

What great taste we both must have! ;)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Skills check: How far have I come? « ZoSews - September 17, 2012

[...] Raglan sleeves – V8164, Undercover Hood [...]

2. P1003 & P1004: Plenty of Papercuts « poppykettle - August 12, 2013

[…] not be my first choice. A terry-towling/sweatshirt fleece would be great for this, like what Zo made hers from. Additionally, the instructions call for the front pockets to be just top-stitched on – […]