Crescent skirt – comes with free sunshine

30 Jun

I went to see the Australian Ballet’s production of Onegin today with my Grandmother (yes – it was great!). But before the ballet, I sneaked in some cheeky fabric shopping at the Clegs stocktake sale. Surprisingly, I walked away empty handed – completely empty handed, not even a notion in sight! But, to ensure I had enough time for my shopping, (priorities!!) I went in to the city early, and was greeted by a stunning Winter’s day. Check out how pretty the Arts Centre looked!

Melbourne in Winter - Arts Centre

On my travels, I was wearing my completed Crescent skirt in a lovely bright yellow from The Fabric Store – which added even more sunshine to my day! I love cracking out a bright piece in Winter, it makes me feel much more sunny and upbeat.

Here’s me in the sunny Crescent skirt with my pretty dancing friend:

Crescent skirt

I did freestyle from the instructions a little, and used an exposed zipper. That was my only diversion from the pattern though – amazing!

Crescent skirt with exposed zipper

When making this skirt, my overlocker (serger) was threaded with black thread – which, had I used it to finish these lovely yellow seams, would have looked heinous! I was too lazy to rethread the machine, so instead I bound my seams with yellow ribbon that I had lying around. Which on reflection, took much longer than rethreading the machine would have taken! Duh.

Crescent skirt - bound seams

And just for fun, here’s a picture of the stage curtain at the State Theatre – isn’t it beautiful! You can see the orchestra pit down the front too.

State Theatre curtain

So that’s my sunny skirt – it’s positively un-Melburnian, i.e. not black. Do you wear certain garments to pick you up? How do the colours you wear affect (effect?) your mood?

20 Responses to “Crescent skirt – comes with free sunshine”

1. sewbusylizzy June 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM #

I always feel happy in blue! I love yellow but I look like I’m sick in it – olive skin tones alas. So I painted my house yellow instead.
    I’m going to see Sydney Dance Co week after next. So excited!!! Bangarra in Dec. Yay

• ZoSews July 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM #

Ohh your house sounds pretty! What a dance schedule you have coming up too! My next one is Swan Lake in Sept :)

• sewbusylizzy July 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM #

Forgot to mention I love the zipper. Have to find an online tut for that.

2. prttynpnk June 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM #

I love the seams bound in ribbon- too pretty!

3. Amanda Bimble June 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM #

Love the exposed zipper- it looks fantastic! At my last job I was told I dressed “Melbourne” because I wore black all the time thinking it was corporate. I’ve changed my tune now at a new job and am all about the pink/purple/grey/white. And I love it! I always feel more cheerful when I wear this rather than the black.

• ZoSews July 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM #

Colour is fun! But black is very easy for work :)

4. Neeno July 1, 2012 at 12:50 AM #

Beautiful skirt!!! Love the exposed zipper!

5. Tia Dia July 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM #

The skirt is lovely – I really like that exposed zipper and the bound seams may have taken a lot longer than changing the serger thread (hehe). And I love theatre curtains… the velvet and fringe and and and! Hope you really enjoyed the show. Onegin is so TRAGIC!

• ZoSews July 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM #

These romantic tragedies kill me – why can’t everyone just get it together!! It was lovely to watch though, costumes, dancing, music were fabulous.

6. gingermakes July 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM #

Super cute! That yellow is amazing! I love to wear bright colors if I’m feeling a bit down or a bit grumpy– it helps me to perk up! I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb in NYC (where, like Melbourne, everybody wears black), but I don’t mind. :)

• ZoSews July 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM #

Sticking out is fun ;)

7. Karen July 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM #

Gorgeous skirt, love yellow and love how you’ve worn it with the red patterned scarf and handbag. You’d fit right in up here in Brisneyland!

• ZoSews July 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM #

Thanks Karen! Sounds like a good excuse for me to get some sunshine ;P

8. Kerry July 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM #

This is lovely – so cheery and sunshine-y. I like the exposed zip detail too.

• ZoSews July 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM #

Thank you! I want to do more exposed zips, just need to decide where and how :-)

9. theperfectnose July 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM #

OMG I love the yellow skirt! Also, you’re in Melbourne? We should meet up! Just found you today btw so yay!

• ZoSews July 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM #

Should get all the Melbourne ladies together!! :o)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks